Sloppy Applications...

This is going to be one of those posts where I really will have to try not to rant...Here goes!

I've been handling more junior roles that usual in recent weeks.  I think realistically that whilst the market is definitely improving, it's improving at the junior to midweight level most of all, this level being where clients can justify increasing the overhead without too much difficulty.  It creates a bit of a recruitment nightmare for me though because the volume of applications really does go through the roof.  To give you a bit of an insight into the world of a recruiter we'll generally advertise roles on various different jobsites.  Some jobsites are better than others for quality over quantity but for junior roles, it's evident that junior candidates really do just apply for anything that they see.  The skill of a good recruiter is to be able to scan a CV and to see if it has any relevance to the role that has been applied for or any other positions that you might be handling.   It does help if candidates apply to roles that they have skills for and equally it helps if they get some of the basic rules about job applications right.  I find that for junior roles, clients have absolutely zero tolerance on basic grammatical errors, punctuation issues, mixing up dates etc so don't shoot yourself in the foot before you even get through the door of the interview.  I know that people are just 'clicking' to apply but it's essential to keep some application etiquette in there. Here's some basic suggestions:

1.  Make sure the application is addressed to the right person.  This week I've had Dear Annie, Dear Julie, Dear HR Person, Dear (blank).  Not good.  Personalise it, to the right person. Please.

2.  War and peace of a covering letter.  For a completely different or unrelated role.

3.  All the jobsites send a recruiter a precis of the applicant.  If under current role it says 'Subway Sandwich Artist'. I'm probably not even going to open the CV.  If you're currently temping you need this profile to say 'Currently temping whilst seeking my Perfect Marketing Job' - or 'Recent Graduate with 2.1 in Marketing seeking permanent marketing role'.  This is what will hook the recruiter. Remember the recruiter has to filter 100-200 applications per day, at speed. It's very easy for them to hit delete.  Make sure your profile on relevant jobsites is up to date and accurate and enticing (although not with a holiday snap!)

4.  In the main body of the text.  Brief can be good - especially if it's short, succinct, relevant and to the point. For example;  'I saw the role of Marketing Assistant advertised on Reed.co.uk.  I have just graduated from Lancaster University with a First in Marketing and I have 12 months work placement experience in a similar role. I'd love to have the opportunity to chat with you about this position.  My number is xxxxxx'.  That's fine.  What isn't fine is 'Call me!' or 'I'm your man'.  Do try and target the application in any way you can - give me a reason to open the CV.

5.  I've written lots before about CV writing and how to avoid certain pitfalls.  In short.  No typos. Ever.  It's worth reviewing previous blog posts for more tips.

6.  If you're really interested in a role. Follow it up.  Call the recruiter to ensure they have received your details.  Keep a list of everything you have applied for an when.  It's a bit worrying when I call a candidate to discuss an application that they can't remember completing...

I genuinely do enjoy working with good junior candidates. There is nothing better than securing someone their first role and staying in touch with them throughout their career.  However, the volume of juniors in the market is significant and I'm only going to work with those who can demonstrate that they're quality candidates - and that means taking a little bit longer over those applications and being noticed for the right reasons!