Love is in the air...

So far, so predictable. It is, after all, Valentines Day.  I don't think I have anything new to say, particularly, however, I was musing about Love and finding your perfect partner in life...and it occurred to me that we do spend a long time working, so it's just as important to find your perfect job as it is your other half.   I have heard the same to be said about mattresses - and actually, that is true.  We do spend a lot of time sleeping so it is worth investing in a mattress that suits you.

Anyway, I digress. It's a challenge every month to find a new angle of recruitment to talk about and this month was no exception. Even with the 'Valentines' theme.  I did a bit of Googling but was disturbed at the high percentage of stats for people who 'hate' their jobs and thought that might be more representative of other sectors than that of marketing and advertising which is, by and large, a fairly enjoyable sector to work in.  Relatively. So I changed tack.

I'm going to segue from Love to Chemistry.  Because, after all, this is a recruitment blog.  As I work specifically in marketing and advertising, I solely register candidates who are seeking a role in that area, predominantly in an agency rather than in-house.  Every CV that I register has a strong track record, a demonstrable history of being able to do the job, usually, decent qualifications to back it up.   I've been doing this job for a long time and I've learned a lot in that time.  Mostly that the person who looks the best on paper, is seldom the one who gets the job.  Occasionally it is, but sometimes it's the 'wild-card', the one I added at the last minute, a bit doubtful but harassed at the thought that another recruiter might add it to the mix!

As a candidate, interviewing is very frustrating.  It's necessary but it does work both ways.  Often, the client or business that the candidate thought was amazing turns out to be not quite so much.  And often the one that a candidate might have discounted, turns out to be THE ONE. 

To get to the point.  Ultimately, it's about chemistry and fit.  Do you bond together, do you gel, is there a feeling of instinct that you will work well together?  I generally assume (but I do check) that the skills and experience is there as described in the CV but the unpredictable bit is the chemistry match.   This applies as much as for your partner as it does your employer.  Life is short, we get one shot, so it's important to make the most of it and enjoy it and live to the full.  As I've said before, we all have different life equations but the one constant is that we do want to love our jobs.

Six times out of ten, when I am saying to a candidate that they didn't get the job, it's because the 'fit' wasn't right*.  Perfectly skilled, but not right for us or for our clients.  Ten times out of ten when I tell a candidate that they did get the job, it's because the skills were right, and the fit was right too.    Ultimately there isn't much you as a candidate can do to influence 'fit' - it's often indefinable (which is where the chemistry analogy falls apart).  It's usually instinctive on both parts and there is a sense of joy that the two halves have met.

A word of warning though.  Occasionally at first interview, the employer and the employee can get a bit over-eager that they love each other.   Never under-estimate the power of a second interview where an employer will put your skills to the test.  If the skills and the presentation don't match up, it'll be a no.  You do need to support the 'fit' with the skills and ability to do the job.

On a final note, I guess it's just to say to trust your instinct. As much as you may well be able to tell when it's the perfect fit, it's important that you know when it's not... Be honest with yourself, it's very difficult to sustain a job you really don't like for very long.  Same with your love life...

Happy Valentine's Day!

* Other reasons that people don't get jobs include that they.....cocked up a presentation (typos, death by ppt etc), didn't turn up, were late, didn't show any rapport or strong communication ability or just weren't quite as good as someone else.