It's a small world!

Every so often I think to myself how small a world it is in the North.  I'm sure it is in the South too but the North - specifically the North West and Yorkshire is 'my patch' so I have regular reminders.

I've been in recruitment for over 20 years now.  Longer, in fact than I was in marketing so the old 'I used to be a marketer' whilst still true, is further away than it used to be. 'I used to be a Chemist' even further away!

However, all these years of experience mould us into what we are now.  I didn't set out to be a recruiter, I doubt if anyone did - it's not a typical vocation.  But the people who I knew at the start of my career are (mostly) still in touch and several of them whilst still being Chemists or Marketers are now clients.  Many of the candidates who I placed in my early days as a recruiter are still candidates who I have placed multiple times.  I love that I have joined them on their 'journey' and that I have stayed in contact with them as they have progressed - and often to the client status too!

So.... this isn't a whinge or a whine. It's just something to consider when one turns down a role, or one fails to turn up for a second or first interview - generally without any warning... that what goes around comes around.   As a lot of the world says now 'be kind' - I generally think in the professional world it's good to 'be professional'.   

Occasionally a hard conversation needs to be had.  This might be handing in your resignation or asking for a higher salary.  It might be saying no to a job offer because you had a better offer or even a counter offer from your current employer.  It might be saying no to a client because they're asking for the impossible/unreasonable - but doing things professionally, kindly and nicely means that down the line, that will be remembered.  You will keep your options open and people will say nice things about you.  Believe me.  Over the years, the number of people who have said not very nice things about ex and current work colleagues has shocked me. Not in a judgemental way...but in a very small world, it's hard to avoid a certain amount of information getting out about yourself - even if you are completely social media zero. You'd either have to be a total narcissist or entirely self unaware to be a bit more conscious of how current behaviour affects future opinions.

This week. A candidate emailed on the morning of a final stage interview to withdraw from the process. This is completely acceptable. They've decided the role isn't right for them. However...at this point, it is a good idea to make contact too with the client - otherwise....game over for the future.  I appreciate that the candidate/client may not mind burning their bridges with each other but .....people know people - it might come back to haunt you that you didn't do it the right way.    

Conversely.  Clients occasionally fail to give me feedback on candidate interviews.  In the main this is frustrating but if I have no feedback, I assume it's a no...but I feel a little affronted that a client expects me to be able to say 'it's a no' to a candidate who has made time out of their busy work schedule without an actual reason - other than 'it's not the right fit'.  Good and proper feedback is essential.  It helps me and the candidates to focus on what are the right roles, companies and interviews.  Without proper feedback, the candidate's view and opinion of that business is going to be tarnished. 

There are a few businesses in the region where their reputations are not great. This may be due to  chaotic hours, rotating doors, unpopular clients or poor culture...And people do talk.  Everyone in this industry knows at least a few other people who know other people in the industry.  Whilst I do my best to stay on top of what is the 'reality' (it tends to vary according to agency, level of responsibility and expectations of an individual), candidates have a choice about who they work for and they want to work for professional - and kind businesses.  

Ultimately.  Without this turning into War and Peace. The message is that I would aspire to maintain good contacts with everyone in the industry. You never know when you will need (each other) and its an extremely small world where people know people.   Your professional reputation is important and how you communicate with others is absolutely key to that. 

Stay in touch with both the people you have liked and also the people you haven't!